We have posted a few of our recipes that we created for Global Television and events throughout Alberta. Enjoy!
Citrus Salad – Global Television February 14, 2019
- Salad – Peel and slice your favorite citrus. I used pink grapefruit, Moro or blood oranges, Clementine oranges, Cara Cara oranges and honey tangerines. Arrange on a salad platter. Chiffonade basil and mint and add. Today I used Lean Mean Microgreens. Crumble goat cheese or feta and add. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Dressing – Zest and juice one blood orange and one lemon. Combine both in a saucepan. Add ½ a cup of Riesling white wine along with ½ cup organic sugar, 1 tsp of lemon honey (I used Border Hills) and 1 tsp of chopped fresh rosemary. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and then lower to simmer for 15 minutes. Dressing will thicken slightly. Cool. Sprinkle with Himalayan pink sea salt and pour over your fruit platter. Enjoy!
Might Mushroom Appetizer Spread – Global Television April 18, 2019
- Slice one pound of mushrooms. I used Alberta’s All Season Mushrooms. Their containers are 7 ounce so I used two and a half containers. Saute in 3-4 teaspoons of butter for 5-6 minutes.
- Add 1.5 tbsp of flour and 1 medium onion diced. Saute an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Grind in pepper to taste but I also did a small mixture of T&A Spice Co organic spice blends. The ratio I used was 1/2 tsp of their Italian Seasoning, 1/4 tsp of their Hamburger Zip and 1/4 tsp of their Sassy Salt.
- Stir in 1 cup of sour cream and the juice of a lemon or 2 tsps.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Place in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle in another 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. The top should be golden and bubbly.
- We enjoyed our mighty mushroom spread on Alvim’s Fine Foods traditional cheese buns which are gluten and yeast free. If you would like to kick it up another notice, try Alvim’s garlic cheese buns which are also gluten and yeast free.
Lemon Blueberry Coconut Granola – Global Television July 7, 2019
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of Grainworks organic 7 grain cereal mix on a parchment lined or silpat baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of Grainworks organic old fashioned oats to the baking sheet along with 1/2 cup chopped almonds and 1/2 cup chopped cashews. Bake for 12-15 minutes stirring every 4 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter; add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Border Hills lemon honey, 1/4 cup Border Hills blueberry honey, 1 tsp of vanilla and a pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt. I usually cook it until it starts to foam slightly. Let cool slightly.
- Place the contents of the baking sheet of grains, oats and nuts into a large bowl. Add in 1/2 cup chopped dried blueberries and 1/2 cup of Grainworks organic unsweetened coconut (it truly is sweet enough!). Pour over the honey mixture and stir well.
- Empty the bowl onto your silpat and spread to desired thickness. Pressing down well with a silicone spatula. It will be a bit sticky. Chill for at least 2-4 hours, slice and enjoy!
****Sometimes I bake it for another five minutes at the end to crisp up the granola bars however I love it softer so normally just chill it.
***Feel free to change it up by replacing the lemon and blueberry honey with Border Hills cinnamon honey and switch the coconut and dried blueberries with currents or raisins.
Smokehouse Chip Dip – Global Television July 7, 2019
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 TBSP Kappa Foods Black Maple Marinade
- 1 TBSP dill (I used organic dried dill from TA Spice Co)
- 1 TBSP garlic powder (I used organic from TA Spice Co)
- 1/2 TBSP onion powder (guess what……I used organic from TA Spice)
- 1/2 shredded asiago or parmesan cheese
- Stir together and enjoy. If you like a bit of heat, add in a few drops of Kappa Foods Red Diablo drizzle and dip.
***This recipe was created by Chef Nicolo @ Kappa Foods
Hellish Dip – Global Television July 7, 2019
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 heaping TBSP of Hellish Relish
- Mix together and taste the deliciousness!
Lemon Dill Lite Dip – Global Television July 7, 2019
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 TSPs of T&A Spice Co Lemon Dill Lite organic spice mix
- Stir and enjoy! This also makes a great spread on salmon as well as a veggie dip.
Sticky Toffee Oat Bars – Calgary Stampede’s Kitchen Theatre July 8, 2019
- 6 oz salted butter
- 8 oz soft brown sugar
- 4 TBSP of Kappa Foods Golden Reserve Maple Syrup
- 8 oz of Grainworks organic oat flakes
- 4 oz of Grainworks organic 7 grain cereal
- 2 oz of Grainworks organic coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Heat the butter, add sugar, syrup and cook over medium heat until the butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add in the oats, 7 grain cereal and coconut and mix well until everything is incorporated together.
- Place in a 8″ square baking pan lined with parchment and press down so is flat and level.
- Bake for 20 minutes on middle rack.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes and score to desired size. They will still be quite soft but will continue to firm while cooling.
- After 30 minutes, remove from baking pan and onto a cutting board to cut into squares.
- Enjoy as they will not last long!
***This recipe was created by Chef David Swanson-Reinhardt
Indulge’s 8 Bean Chili – Sobeys Fall Food Fair September 21, 2019
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups of diced red onion
- 1 lb of ground beef (We prefer Gemstone Grass Finished Lean Ground Beef)
- 1 tbsp of minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp of minced fresh garlic
- 1 can of 796 ml diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tube of tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp T&A Spice Co organic Hamburger Zip
- 1 tsp T&A Spice Co organic Shep’O Pie
- 2-3 cups of Grainworks organic 8 bean soup mix (soaked in water overnight)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Dash of Kappa Foods Red Diablo (Spanish influenced pepper sauce)
- Heat oil in a large cocotte over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 15 minutes or until tender. Add in the ground beef and cook. Once ground beef is finished, drain any excess oil (not needed if you use Gemstone as so lean). Add in the ginger, garlic and cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add in the diced tomatoes, salt, hamburger zip, and shep’o pie spice. (Kick it up a notch with Athena’s Wrath spice which contains ghost peppers).
- Add in the 8 bean soup mix (draining water that they have been soaking in first), tomato paste, vegetable stock and Red Diablo. Combine and stir well. I like to turn up the heat for a great rolling simmer before turning it down and letting the flavours simmer for 30-60 minutes. Enjoy with an Alvim’s Fine Food Cheese Bun.
**Quick hint, if your beans do not seem cooked enough for your taste, add in 1/4 tsp of baking soda. It works like magic!
Amaretto Cranberry Brie – Global Television September 22, 2019
- Comox Brie
- 1/4 cup Cracklin’ Cranberry Conserve
- 1 tbsp Border Hills Lemon Honey
- 1 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
- pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
- orange zest
- 1/8 cup of chopped toasted pecans (I toasted mine for 10 minutes at 350F)
- Bake brie for 10 minutes at 350 degrees until just soft.
- On a stove, heat conserve, add in the honey, liqueur, salt, orange zest and chopped pecans
- Drizzle over the baked brie and top with a few whole toasted pecans for garnish.
Cracklin’ Cranberry Conserve Chicken Salad Croissants – Global Television September 22, 2019
- Cracklin’ Cranberry Conserve
- lemon juice
- seasoning salt
- chopped rotisserie chicken
- chopped celery
- chopped walnuts
- chopped grapes – I used Sapphire, Reds and Greens
- Combine and season as you like. Sassy salt is my favorite seasoning salt.
- Fill croissants and in some butter lettuce.
It’s All About That Brie! – Global Television, September 27, 2019
So fun to be working with Old School Cheesery Brie today. We had three different toppings but their Brie is great to eat on it’s on too.
Maple Bacon Brie
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBSP maple syrup **I love Kappa’s Golden Reserve
- 1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 cup of cooked and roughly chopped bacon
- Brie Cheese
After cooking the bacon, let it cool and roughly chop. Heat brown sugar, maple syrup and rice wine vinegar on the stove and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add in your spices and stir in the bacon.
Today, I used the stove top but normally, I would pour the mixture over the Brie and bake it for 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees.
I hope you enjoy it!
Fig and Toasted Almond Brie – Global Television September 27, 2019
- Brie Cheese
Toast the almonds at 325 for 10 minutes. While they are toasting, on the stove heat the brown sugar, water and bourbon vanilla. Add in the cut figs and let simmer for at least 20 minutes until it reaches a thick syrupy consistency. Add in the almonds and pour over your brie. I sometimes heat the brie separately for 10 minutes at 350 or you can pour the fig mixture over your brie and bake.
It’s mandarin orange time of year – Global Television November 2019
For the Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed mandarin juice (6 mandarins)
- zest of 1/2 of a lemon
- zest of mandarin orange
Mandarin orange glaze:
- 1 and 1/4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp of fresh mandarin juice
- 1 tbsp cream or milk
Preheat oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9 inch bundt pan.
In a medium bowl whisk the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy, gently fold in the yogurt followed by the flour mixture. Add the almonds, oil, juice and zests. Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake until 25-30 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
Let cake sit for 15 minutes before you remove it from your pan. When cool drizzle with the glaze and/or powdered sugar.
To make the mandarin glaze, stir all ingredients until smooth. Enjoy!